[Cube] Re: maintenance issues, Onyx and Cube, sleep CPU or not?

Andrew andrewaa at comcast.net
Sun Mar 12 17:07:37 PST 2006

Thanks to all for the suggestions,  I should clarify that I haven't
been turning my 450 Mhz cube off overnight I've just been putting it to
sleep using the apple menu after closing all applications.

My understanding was that if I put the CPU to sleep (instead of just
the display) then Panther would not be able to run the automated
maintainence  tasks thus requiring me to run Onyx manually.

If I knew when the automated tasks were scheduled I could instruct the
Cube to wake up for them.
I did try just putting the display to sleep (setting the CPU to sleep
never in Energy Saver) but I noticed that the temperature (measured
with a dial thermometer stuck in the center of the top grill) measured
110 degrees F instead of 80 degrees F if I sleep the CPU as well as the
display.

So it seems like there's a trade off here, if I leave the CPU running
Panther will be able to do whatever cleanup it does in the wee hours
but the cube will be 30 degrees F hotter for 6 hours a night (which
can't help the life of the CPU).

Am I correct in saying that there is no temperature sensor with a stock
Cube running Panther?

Has anyone figured out a way to have a thermostatically switched fan?
Most of the time my Cube runs just over 100 degrees F but I'f I do
something that requires a lot of CPU or disk activity it will get up to
110 degrees F.
I could probably tolerate a fan when I'm making the poor thing work if
it would shut off when things eased off.

Andrew in Ann Arbor
technology is the answer, what was the question?