[Cube] help

Bill Fox wfoxjr at earthlink.net
Sat Aug 11 16:10:17 PDT 2007

My advice is to get a new Mac mini instead of upgrading. Use your
working Cube as a backup or home server. See below for specific
answers but also look at www.cubeowners.com:

On Aug 11, 2007, at 1:22 PM, liza bear wrote:

>> I have a Mac G4 Cube from 1999
>> with a 450MhZ CPU.  I also have 4
>> laCie 160GB hard drives.
>>
>> Primarily because I have over  100 hours of video
>> to edit, I want to upgrade the CPU
>> and also the video card.
>>
>> A/ where would I find a 1GB CPU
>> at a reasonable price? what would you recommend?
>> Can I install it myself or will I have to take it to
>> Tekserve?  {I am in Manhattan)

Probably eBay, if at all. OWC has only a 1.8GHz Sonnet ($299) and a
Dual 1.6GHz PowerLogix ($549). Unless you are a near electronics
technician, I would recommend Tekserve do the switch--it's doable but
tricky.

>> B/ will a faster CPU enable me to run
>> Mac OS 10.4? I am now running Mac OS X
>> Panther which is 10.3.9.

I am running 10.4.10 and 10.4.10 on a 450MHz Cube with no problems.
You can too w/o the upgrades.

>> C/ What kind of video card would you recommend?

The best has been the ATI Radeon 7500, no fan. Look on ebay.

>> D/ Is there a risk or a downside to upgrading the
>> CPU and videocard?

Stress to your DC board but I ran both upgrades in a Cube for years
with no problems

-Bill