[Cube] New (to me) Cube Locks Up

R. Mansfield rmansfield at mac.com
Wed Jul 18 18:21:06 PDT 2007

I bought a Cube for $100 today. The owner said that it had been
locking up/freezing for no apparent reason.

The machine had only  been reloaded once during the last seven years
(when the hard drive was upgraded), so I figured that reloading OS X
from scratch would do the trick.

So today, I erased the hard drive, formatting it as Mac OS X Extended
(journaled). I did not include drivers for OS 9, nor did I install OS
9. I installed OS X Tiger which loaded without a problem.

So far, even with the new install, the machine has now locked up on
me twice--once while just sitting there idle and another time while
downloading OS X updates.

When I say locked up, I mean that the mouse arrow freezes in place
and the keyboard is unresponsive. I have no other option but to
restart the machine.

Here are the specs:

RAM: 1.6 GB
HD: 128 GB