[Cube] Power supply replacement.

James Deamara jdeamara at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 24 19:05:17 PDT 2008

Hi all.

Again, if anyone out there is interested...

I was able to replace my cube power supply with the Mean Well PS-65-27
switching supply I mentioned in a prior email. It turned out to be quite
a nice little hack. The 65-27 fit into the original apple PS enclosure
with room to spare. The hard part was opening up the supply enclosure in
the first place without destroying it or marring its outer plastic sheath.
Some people might find keeping track of which wire went where after
removing the original PS circuit board and figuring out where they should
go on the new one tricky as well.  As far as additional supplies, all I really
needed besides the new PS were some heat shrink tubing and a soldering
iron, everything else could be recycled from the enclosure (hardware,
rubber insulating pieces, the bottom nonconducting shield, etc.).

So far, so good (I've had it in use for two weeks now). It seems to have
a sufficient power rating to supply my system and in fact seems to run
cooler than the original. Again, I don't use an apple display that needs
power from the video card, I have low power laptop drives and I don't
daisy chain a dozen firewire drives either. With this in mind, I don't know
if this PS will work for anyone else... and the replacement process can be
a bit hairy for someone who isn't handy with electronics or never used a
soldering iron. :) I just wanted to let anyone who might be interested
know that it's not really necessary to go out and get an old supply off ebay.

James.