[Cube] Lovely Cube: scrambled screen (not hardware)

Riba riba at ml1.net
Tue May 6 10:06:22 PDT 2008

On 2008.05.06, at 18:28, David Bovill wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've been using an old original Cube for a while. Running Panther
> fine. My kids were using it (laying World of Warcraft - a crime I
> know). Then the screen started to scamble - grey vertical banding
> after a few minutes or so... I assumed it was the video card, but
> then tried OS9 - and no scrambling.
>
> My guess is it was some sort of system software patch. The thing is
> its been a while and I can't find my Panther Disks - so I can't try
> booting from Panther. Anyone got any suggestions? Should I get an
> old copy of Panther? Where to look etc...

Be careful - I still think it is the graphic card overheating!
Rememeber - OS X GUI puts a lot more load on the graphic card than OS
9, and it can easily overheat in OS X and seemingly work fine in OS 9.
Which graphic card do you have inside? Original Radeons were notorious
for their active cooler going bad but I'd be surprised if it was still
running after all these years...