[Cube] Re: Lovely Cube: scrambled screen (not hardware)

David Bovill david at architex.tv
Fri May 9 02:53:54 PDT 2008

Thanks - I blew at it and maybe I unstuck it - is it worth oiling or
anything? Either way it ran for over an hour last night. Any way of telling
if it is spinning - I guess I should try running it with the core outside of
its case.

2008/5/9 Riba <riba at ml1.net>:

> On 2008.05.08, at 23:03, David Bovill wrote:
>
>  Yes - that's the first time I've pulled out the core - small fan on the
>> ATI board.
>>

> And I'm pretty sure the fan is stuck? You have two options: to replace the
> fan (I haven't had much luck finding the replacement) Or to replace the
> cooler (quite difficult as it is glued to the chip - however still possible
> if you are willing to fiddle with it).
> You may also check if someone has a extra dvnidia 2MX card from Cube or
> desktop lying around - these are drop-in replacement. Another option is
> Radeon 7500 that was delivered with desktop macs.

OK - Ill look around :)

> Just keep in mind that the card is still savageable - but if you keep using
> it it will probably overheat so much that it will burn out.

Good to know. Maybe if the fan is stuck - Ill have a go at the cooler
option. Any particular model of cooler?