Slide scanners

Mike Cameron mcamero at pop3.utoledo.edu
Thu Feb 5 13:55:01 PST 2004

Last December there was a very timely and interesting discussion
about slide scanners.  I too have been interested in scanning my many
slides and have been waiting for the prices of some of the better
Nikon units to come down.  The Coolscan 4000 looked very interesting
but it looks like it has been discontinued and replaced by the 5000.

Has anyone seen any reviews of this new unit?  It is USB 2 instead of
firewire.  Don't know if that matters as most new Macs have USB.

On a similar note, does anyone have any experience with the automatic
slide feeders.  I had heard the one for the 4000 had occasional
jamming problems.
Maybe an automatic slide feeder is overkill.  Comments?

Thanks everyone for all the good info.

Mike