Re. Photo printer recommendations

shouston at infinito.it shouston at infinito.it
Mon Feb 23 09:03:22 PST 2004

Thanks for all the info. I'll be looking at the reviews and user feedback
online before making a decision.

I also added the Canon i865 to my shortlist, as I found it at 150 euro at a
local PC megastore. It looks like a great all-round printer at a nice price.

I've also seen the Epson C84 on sale for around 75-80 euro. Anyone got any
feedback on it?

And then there's the new Epson Stylus Photo R200 at 100 euro.

So, my shortlist for now is:

1) Epson 830U - 6 color printer, uses 2 cartridges: Euro 75 (even cheaper)

2) Canon i560 - 4 color printer, separate cartridges (I think): Euro 100

3) Epson R300 - 6 color printer, separate cartridges: Euro 130-150

4) Canon S900 - 6 color printer, separate cartridges: Euro 200

5) Canon i865 - 4 color printer: Euro 150

6) Epson C84 - 4 color printer: Euro 75-80

7) Epson R200 - 6 color printer: Euro 100

RE. the other printers we have at home, I think I'll sell the Canon 6200,
which never worked out as a photo printer.
I have a Lexmark X85 all-in-one that I picked up new for 70 euro and I like
it a lot for fotocopying, draft-copy printing and printing web pages.
We also have a Laserwriter 12/640 that is still chugging along just fine and
is super for longer text printing.

So my choice is weighted towards the best photo printer for the money, which
in  my case was to be around 150 euro, perhaps up to 200 (seeing as I'm
selling the 6200 and could get 30 or so for it).

I have to say that the Epson 830U caught my eye at that 75 euro price; I can
remember when it was double that. My experience with Epson printers has been
positive, apart from the well known clogged head problems; though I've
learned from that and would now make sure to print something at least once a
week. The R300 6-color printer with separate cartridges looks good too.
Though now the Canon i865 is in the same 150 euro price range.

I'll try to find a head-to-head comparison of the R300 and the i865. No
doubt the Canon wins on speed; wonder if the Epson wins on photo quality?

Chris