[Duo2400] Re: PC-card question

Eric L. Strobel fyzycyst at comcast.net
Mon Dec 2 06:01:45 PST 2002

on 11/30/02 12:18 PM, francis.fitzpatrick at att.net at
francis.fitzpatrick at att.net wrote:

> I've tried a PC Card adapter for Memory Sticks.  It works but as RDX points
> out, it is slow.  CardBus is not enabled.  The card I have is the Dazzle
> adapter and it allows you to insert Memory Sticks, Secure Digital, Smart Media
> and another format.  (Sorry, I don't recognize the logo for the 4th format.)
> think they also make adapters for Compact Flash.  One downside of this adapter
> is that you have to remove the card to change Memory Sticks (and, maybe, other
> media).

Thanks.  I'm basing this off of some articles on Low End Mac.  The primary
assertion is that the CF is faster than hard disk (although even if it's
equal, the battery savings would be worth it) for use as virtual memory
space.  And with fairly large CF cards available, it's possible to have a
copy of, say, OS 8.1 and an app or two on a card.

When I get the machine to try this on (a few weeks), I'll let y'all know how
it turns out.

- Eric.
--

Eric Strobel (fyzycyst at NOSPAM^mailaps.org)