First Questions

ELN/rlf9 rlf9 at earthlink.net
Fri Dec 20 18:20:31 PST 2002

>Subject: [Duo2400] Re: First Questions
>Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2002 14:38:01 -0500
>From: Ivan Drucker <ivanxqz at yahoo.com>
>

>>3b. Are there an pre-cardbus pc-card harddrives?
>
>All PC Card hard drives that I know of are non-Cardbus, including things
>like CF cards in adapters, but I can't swear by this. I think the PC Card
>ATA spec does not require Cardbus. In any case, there are lots of
>non-Cardbus drives. There are some drives out there that even predate
>Cardbus, in sizes like 40 or 80 MB (but wouldn't you rather use a 256 MB
>CF card?). I believe even the Toshiba 5, 10, and 20 GB drives that are
>used in the iPod are plain old PCMCIA (not Cardbus).

Those Toshiba drives are not compatible enough to be used as boot drives
AFAIK.
I bought one of their 2GB drives last year and had a hellish time trying
to find out why I couldn't boot any powerbook with it while I could boot
up fine using the 1GB IBM Microdrive. IIRC it had something to do with an
incompatibility with Apple's PCMCIA controller/manager (sorry I can't
recall the correct nomenclature). The Toshiba folks were of no help
whatsoever. I ended up selling the drive to a peecee user who said it
worked fine for him.

>I never had a great deal of luck with these old small drives in my 2400
>(the last time I tried was years ago however), they sometimes seemed to
>hang it until ejected, which was a result of them drawing too much power.
>I bought a PCMCIA hard drive enclosure from MCE which was externally
>powered, and that always worked great. CF cards also worked fine for me.
>
>Ivan.

Me too. I still use those MCE enclosures. Very handy.

Bob F