need some drive tech help

Drew Johnson captain_drew at alphabreeze.net
Sat Dec 28 11:11:49 PST 2002

  I have recently come into possession of a neat, almost new APS
external hard drive case, apparently made for PowerBooks/Laptops.

If you are familiar with the wonderful product line by Applied
Peripherals Systems (APS) you know the craftsmanship and
indestructibility built into these cases.

This case is the standard PowerBook "gray"; it is smaller than the usual
external case (9"x 6" x 1.5") for portability; it only has one (vice the
usual 2) 50-pin SCSI port on the back and comes with a 110v to 9v
transformer/power adapter.

I knew it was smaller than the regular cases, but I figured they had
engineered it so that I could simply drop one of the many Quantum or
Seagate SCSI drives I use to upgrade the regular external cases. Not so.
When I opened the case, I found it did not look at all like the standard
cases. There could be, but there is not room enough to put a "standard"
3.5 drive in there, not to mention the wiring is not what I am used to
either. The SCSI connector is a 50-pin, but somewhat smaller than the
standard internal connector, so I might have to find a connector too.

See it for yourself at:

http://www.farm-boy-navy-pilot-airline-captain.com/powerbook_aps_case.jpg

The guy who sold it to me was not very helpful in trying to figure out
what kind of a drive will fit in there -nor were the folks as APS -
other than to say it probably will take a "narrow", 2.5" drive, like the
type in early PowerBooks. I need to figure out what kind of a drive will
fit in this case and THEN .. find one somewhere.

Do any of you Lististas have any ideas on what and where I can find a
drive to put in here? Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Happy New Year !!!

--
Very warm regards,