Another busted 2400..Advise Requested Please

jkufahl jkufahl at umich.edu
Tue Dec 31 06:18:29 PST 2002

Another sad story.

I was replacing the keyboard on a working 2400, carefully following
instructions found and given to me. Upon removing the trackpad and palm
rest assembly I damaged the connecting orange/gold ribbon cable that is
held on the underside. I snapped off like as though it was very
brittle. At first I did not notice the damage so I installed the new
keyboard and put the machine back together only to find that it would
not boot up. However the green light in the white translucent release
was lighted up. In fact this light did not go out even when I unplugged
the ac adapter and removed the battery.

IS this machine worth repairing? Its a great little machine with a g3
upgrade and acceptable RAM. and what is the extent of the damage? Is
there mother board damage as that little green light staying on freaks
me out? Or is this machine a candidate for being parted out and cutting
my losses...

All advice is greatly appreciated, I am a veteran mac tinkerer, but
this is my first 2400, and it poses...shall we say unique challenges.

With lots of platonic love,
Jonathan