[Duo2400] Rocket in a Duo Dock Plus?

ElBrio at aol.com ElBrio at aol.com
Wed Apr 2 05:04:21 PST 2003

In a message dated 4/2/03 12:36:11 AM, virkkala at wirkman.com writes:

>Now, I own several NuBus Macs - but most are PowerMacs (an 8100, some
>7100s). But I have only one NuBus '040 machine: My 280c's Duo Dock Plus.
>So my question is: Would a Radius Rocket work in it?

Hmmm.....interesting question...and I have a Rocket in the junquebox....but
it is unfortunately only an '040/25, so it would not do much for the 280.

>Would I have to junk 7.5.x on the Duo and go back to 7.1.x?

Think that they worked better under 7 than under 7.5 & up.  Haven't had mine
running for a looooong time.....wanna play with one?

>Would it still network well with my other Macs via Ethernet, if I did
>downgrade the system?
>Is there a particular Rocket that I should avoid - or install?

IIRC the Rocket was only an '040 at either 25 or 40 mhz.....I could be wrong,
tho. (heh, just ask my wife....I'm ALWAYS wrong!)

>Would a Rocket increase the speed of my machine when docked?
>Would it boot up as a separate virtual computer?
>Well, as you can see, I've lots of questions. Anyone got answers?
>Should I join the Rocketeers list and leave you all alone?

Nah...we LOVE these types of questions.  Heck, if I had time, I'd pull my
Dock out and try it....tho I'd have to pull the CD I stuffed into it...can't
put a full length card into the Dock anymore.

Try it and see...think someone DID try it (210 or 230) and it did work, tho
the resulting increase was, at most, nominal.  If there is a PPC Rocket, that
would be more interesting, even with the limiting factor of the Dock bus.

Cheers!
Andrew