[Duo2400] Re: [OT]: Things just Macs can do...;-)

Scott Holder ncc1701 at mindspring.com
Sat Apr 5 11:04:33 PST 2003

At 01:57 PM 4/5/2003 -0500, you wrote:
>I keep seeing this on this list; how someone is using a Ram Disk to surf the
>web. Perhaps there is information in the archives that explains how to set
>this up or perhaps someone on the list might explain. All help is truly
>appreciated.
>Thanks
>Brad(RasAzul)

Unlike PCs, Mac's RAM disks are bootable and persistent as long as you only
restart and don't shut down. Basic idea is to boot off something, copy (or
even install) a system, set up whatever you want, then reboot off it. Works
very quickly.

Incidentally, I ran a web server off a floppy and RAM disk on an LCIII for
awhile. My original goal was a dual-floppy web server (I got one floppy
bootable with MacTCP, a second with MacHTTP and files) but I ended up
having a very hard time getting any Macs to both recognize two floppies and
show an image. My LC worked, but LCs apparently don't work with VGA
adapters and I don't have space for just a monitor for it.

Oddly enough, booting from RAM disks is one of the things that really
impresses my PCish friends the most. It's also come in very handy for disk
repairs on my Duo when I don't have another drive handy, though using the
Disk First Aid from MacOS 8.6 has mostly alleviated that.

Scott Holder