[Duo2400] Re: [OT]: Things just Macs can do...;-)

Clark Martin cmmac at sonic.net
Wed Apr 9 08:02:49 PDT 2003

At 9:35 AM -0400 4/9/2003, Eric L. Strobel wrote:

>>>  Are you saying that LC Macs don't work with VGA adapters? Well, I've used a
>>>  Sony17sfII "PC" monitor on my LCIII via VGA adapter without any kind of
>>>  problem...
>>

>>  LC and LC III have different video.  The LC has video capabilities
>>  like the Mac II, IIci and IIsi.  They can drive 640x480 and some
>>  variants but not 800x600 or 832x624.   They are also Sync-On-Green
>>  which is usually the gotcha for using VGA output (unless the
>>  particular monitor can take Sync-On-Green which a few can.
>
>I don't know if you can still get them, but there are adapters that handle
>that whole sync-on-green thing.  Try in the back of MacWorld magazine or
>perhaps on eBay.  However, probably the best choice is one of the NEC
>adapters that would make a 15" MultiSync look like a fixed resolution (say
>800x600) to the IIci-era video.

Unless the prices have changed those adapters were about as expensive
as the monitor.  And these days it would be cheaper to get an LCIII
or Q605 or whatever to replace the LC.

IIci can't handle 800x600.  It's internal video maxes at 640x480
color and 640x870 greyscale.
--
Clark Martin
Redwood City, CA, USA