[Duo2400] Re: USR 56k Sportster external modem problem

Josh Keady joshkeady at msn.com
Sun Dec 14 18:41:53 PST 2003

That's the nice thing about the USR modems, they use a very standard
set of commands so that just about any device can talk to them.  One of
the worst things about older version of Open Transport is that it is
(IMHO) fairly buggy.  I've installed it on zillions of machines, just
because they have to run 7.5.x, and that seems to be the biggest cause
of problems.  Seems to be more stable when TCP is using a LAN rather
than a modem, but that's not really relevant ;-)

Glad to hear it's running well!

Josh

On Saturday, December 13, 2003, at 10:11 PM, Art Rice wrote:

> Thanks to everyone that responded to my external modem
> questions! I installed FreePPP as Josh suggested. (I
> crashed the PPP in the process of setting up the
> accounts and modem, but after about a day of figuring
> out and playing with the files, then re-installing
> FreePPP, it works.) I found I had to leave my password
> blank, and enter it manually or FreePPP wouldn't
> connect. A software bug I guess. I also set the serial
> port speed selection to 57.6k as suggested by Stephen.
> There was no place to select a brand or model of
> modem, but I had placed the USR High Speed file in
> Extensions. I was able to download web pages that
> previously were unusable with the 14.4k internal
> modem! It's a great improvement.(Using Netscape 4.01
> with Java and Javascript disabled.) THANKS AGAIN!
>
> I will try iCab next, once I update Java Runtime, etc.
> to the necessary revision levels. I downloaded the 68k
> version for OS 7.0-8.1 since the Power PC version said
> it needed OS 7.6 or higher.
>
> I found out the 2300c OS is 7.5.3 Rev 2. I located the
> 7.5.5 upgrade on the Apple support website, but I
> won't try to install it until I've had a rest. I've
> never upgraded an OS on a Mac, want to be well read
> before jumping into it!
>
> Art in Silicon Valley

---
"I did not wish to live what was not life, living is so dear; nor did I
wish to practice resignation unless it was quite necessary."

Henry David Thoreau