[Duo2400] What Do I Do?

Brian brian at brodytheater.com
Wed Jan 8 09:24:08 PST 2003

> and behold it seems to have developed the GLOD disease. In my case the green
> light stays lit only in one position of the reset button. In other words,
> press reset one and it's off, press it again and it's on. Also pressing the
> reset button produces a faint click at every other press.

When I have seen this symptom (4 or so different machines), it has always
been a bad daughtercard/processor.  But according to other listers' GLOD
info, it could also be a bad I/O board, or bad motherboard.

1)  Send to DT&T (http://www.dttservice.com 800-622-7977) for repair.  Will
be $200-350 depending on what needs to be fixed.

2)  Get ahold of a parts machine or parts (try ebay or this list) and
replace the suspected bad components (I'd start with the processor
daugthercard, which can be had off ebay for $15 - $50, if you can wait
around and keep looking).  Also, assuming it's the processor, AND assuming
you want to continue using your 2400, you could pick up an upgrade card (2
currently for sale on the Mac2400 page) instead of a replacement
daughtercard.  Note that if you did this, and it turns out that it's a
motherboard or i/o board problem, you will still have a non-working machine.

3)  Hit up someone off this list (check the "Volunteers list" off the
support page of the Mac2400 site) to crack open the machine and diagnose the
problem for you.  A good deal of us have spare working machines and/or spare
parts.  Here's a direct link:

http://webobjects.uwaterloo.ca/mac2400/support.html#Volunteer

4)  Sell it off (whole or parted out) via this list, the Mac2400 site, or
eBay.  One with a bad motherboard went on eBay just a few weeks ago for
$162.50.

Hope this helps.

--Brian Kameoka
Seattle, WA