[Duo2400] Re: New G4 Powerbook vs the 2400

Andrew W. Hill jessicat at jmug.org
Thu Jan 9 11:21:48 PST 2003

>This whole PC Card slot argument always gets me laughing. Not small? Here's
>my widget <http://65.187.130.21/LEM/usbwidget.JPG>. When I actually do use
>it (I prefer to transfer directly from my camera via the cable) I pull it
>out of the same pocket my PC Card adapter used to ride in. You say that eats
>camera batteries? I have more than one SmartMedia card because I can't stop
>in the middle of what I'm photographing just to transfer files. Besides,
>anyone serious about digital photography has more than one set of
>rechargeable batteries AND an AC adapter.

Okay, so say your widget takes three units of space, where the PC
card takes four units of space.  The big thing is that the PC card
takes four units of space inside the computer where there would
otherwise be air, and your widget uses three units of space that I
have to carry

As for direct transfer, my camera isn't new enough to have USB
transfer capability.

>GPS? Ya got me there, but in the unlikely event that I would ever need to
>know where I am, I would either get one for my Handspring or a standalone
>unit. To me that would be far more beneficial to have a smaller GPS device
>than a laptop equipped with one.

That's a preference deal.  I'd rather have the larger screen, since
I'd mostly use it for driving directions.  For hiking/sailing I'd get
one of the impact and splash resistant ones.

>As for something that ain't been invented, ten bucks says it won't work with
>anything less than OSX when it hit's the market.

Well, yeah... we're talking about the 12" TiBook here right?

>It seems to me the only honest reason for hanging onto a 2400 (or any other
>older PowerBook for that matter) is simply because you just don't need
>anything newer. I needed more so I got the iBook. Now I don't have to carry
>around a suitcase full of widgets to get the same benefits.
>
>Physically the 2400 is a bit smaller than the iBook (or 12" G4). But once
>you throw in all the extra widgets and peripherals for the 2400 then the
>only thing you're missing in your suitcase is the kitchen sink.
>
>What additional items did I have to buy when I got my iBook? A travel cable
>for my Handspring (you don't need a cradle). That's it. I didn't need my USB
>media widget. I bought it on impulse ($9 at the time) and rarely use it.
>
>What did I give up? External CD, extra battery, extra AC brick (because 2
>batteries don't last as long as one iBook battery) and a big, fat SCSI cable
>for SCSI disk mode. PCMCIA cards? Ethernet, modem, FireWire, USB and
>SmartMedia adapter. Oh yeah, my USB zip drive and an Iomega USB CD-RW.

I guess computing style comes into it.  I don't take AC adapters or
external drives with me.  If you still have that smartmedia PC card
I'd be interested in buying it from you.  I just got one at Circuit
City that said it would work with all PCs, scanners and printers.
Doesn;t work with my 2400 (works on a Dell PC though).

>Interestingly, since I bought my iBook early last year, I've found that I
>rarely ever use my G4 tower at home anymore. Š The rest of the time
>it's just an AirPort base
>station for my iBook. With the release of the 12" G4 PowerBook, I'm planning
>selling my iBook and G4 to fund it's purchase.

Trade you my airport base station for the G4 :)

>Sigh, there, I've finally vented.  Guess the big widget thing finally pushed
>me to respond. Every time the 2400 vs iBook topic came up I would bite my
>tongue, even after I bought one. To me it's like arguing politics. Both
>sides are always right...and wrong. So there are SOME of my arguments, good
>or bad, right or wrong.

Yeah.  I'm gonna wait to see how this TiBook goes.  It'll take me
probably a year to save the money, and hopefully the problems will be
known and resolved by then.  Either that or they will have killed it
off and I might get one second hand.

Aqua