[Duo2400] Re: 8.6 or 9

Ivan Drucker ivanxqz at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 17 11:17:25 PST 2003

I also have 112 MB, but I'd still run 9 even if I only had 80.

I would say the only compelling reason to run 8.6 is if you are really
trying to conserve memory (let us not forget the utility of RAM Doubler
though), OR if you use Cardbus cards and restart your computer with some
frequency.

The Cardbus cards hang the machine during startup on Mac OS 9, and
there's nothing that can be done about it that I know of. I happen to
have a cheapoid 10/100 Ethernet card whose Mac drivers don't support
hot-swap insertion, so they have to be present at startup, so I *have* to
use with 8.6 (or OS X, which is actually why I bought it).

Note that you can have the Cardbus modifcation done to your machine, but
regular 16-bit PC Cards won't hang the machine on startup. Only Cardbus
cards. And only under 9.x.

Ivan.