[Duo2400]

Scott Holder ncc1701 at mindspring.com
Thu Jul 3 10:36:13 PDT 2003

At 08:57 AM 7/3/2003 -0400, you wrote:

>Thanks, I tried that and am now able to use the computer.
>
>As far as all the comments on the trackball, I am still a little
>confused.   Just to make sure I was clear the trackpad is still intact,
>but it is the thin ribbon like connector that is torn.  I am not sure what
>it is called, but it is thin, red, branches it two and goes to the cover
>of the computer where the trackpad is located.  Is everyone saying that I
>can't get that ribbon without buying a whole new trackpad?  Are trackballs
>more readily available, easier to use, cheaper or all three?  In any case
>what and where is the swap list?

Sorry for being vague.

The ribbon cable does indeed separate fine, and can be gotten separately,
it's just very very rare to find someone who is just selling the ribbon.
Either they've broken it themselves at some point and are just selling the
trackpad, or they're selling them as a unit. If you get lucky and find one,
great, but it might take some luck and/or patience :)

The trackballs would probably be all three. They were in all the Duo
210-280s, while only the 2300's had pads, so they're more readily
available. They attach to the main case bottom totally instead of having a
ribbon running from the bottom to the top, so you're not as likely to
damage them. Also many people prefer them to the pads, so you could say
they're easier to use. Due to the general availability, they tend to be
cheaper too.

Head over to www.lowendmac.com and you'll find the swaplist listed there.
You'll find all manner of Macintosh (and more!) stuff for sale over there.
Should be very easy to find what you need. If you're going to go trackball,
all you'll need is the trackball itself and a 210-280-style case top (The
bit that surrounds the keyboard and includes the trackpad on the 2300c;
it's just a hole for the trackball on the 210-280 style). Should swap right
in without any trouble. Don't even need to run any Add New Hardware wizards ;)

>Thanks again for everyones help and interest.  I think it is great to be
>able to learn about this computer.  So far every step I take is a positive
>one even if it seems like one backward at the time.
>
>Rich

Scott Holder