[Duo2400] Re: 2400 USB

Ivan. ivanxqz at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 8 07:09:54 PDT 2003

With regard to the lister who said that you don't
really need to perform the Cardbus modification, this
seems to be true for some and not true for others. I
bought a MacAlly USB card and on my unaltered 2400, I
could get it to show up on the desktop maybe one time
in five, and often it would cause crashes. I performed
the Cardbus modification, and that made the
difference: it now works every time, though for 9.x it
must be inserted after startup, as others have noted.
It works if inserted already under 8.6, 10.1 and 10.2.
(Donald, I know you know all this stuff, just going
over it again.)

I have not noted any particular extension conflicts --
that is, it always works for me. I'd be curious to
know if you DO identify what makes it iffy -- I'd
start with a clean install and see if you can get it
to break from there.

Just FYI, my 2400 lives in OS X most of the time now
as a server, and the USB card plays a key role: to it
is connected a MacSense AeroPad 802.11b adapter, a
Griffin iMic, a Keyspan Digital Media Remote, a
Samsung ML-1430 laser printer (wireless printing! whoo
hoo!), a Griffin PowerMate, and occasionally a
Creative Nomad Jukebox or Nomad II MG.

As for the Onkyo device, as you figured out, it ain't
gonna happen -- Mac OS 9 simply won't support USB
audio on non-built-in ports, apparently. I use my iMic
under OS X all the time and that works ok, but I know
that doesn't really solve your problem.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful, but I'd like to know
if you figure it out.

Ivan.

even with multiple reinsertions on the same boot. It
is recognized during startup

Which leads me to wonder if, if your'e

<http://www.themacintoshguy.com/lists/DuoListFAQ.shtml>

<http://www.macresq.com>