[Duo2400] Re: ADB to USB?

Ivan Drucker ivanxqz at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 26 16:40:41 PDT 2003

This doesn't make any sense. How would it possibly work even on a PPC
Mac? We're talking about using a USB device with ADB or serial, right?
Even if you were running an OS (8.6 or later) which supports USB, how
would the OS's USB drivers even know that there was USB out there
somewhere? All it would see is ADB or serial, as always. Some third party
would have to write a driver, right? And I'm quite sure no such driver
exists.

The only way I could see *anything* possibly working is a USB serial
device, such as a modem, going through some smart "box" or cable which
converted that to regular serial (and I do not believe such devices
exist). And converters which are designed for attaching serial devices to
USB can't be flipped around, since they require drivers provided by their
manufacturer.

With Win 98, how does it see a serial port as being connected to a USB
hub? How could it possibly see USB devices through the serial driver,
unless there were some piece of software supplied by the manufacturer of
a specific device?

I'm sorry, this just doesn't float. Perhaps I am missing something.

Ivan.