280 prototype. 230 engineering sample.

Gregg Eshelman g_alan_e at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 30 03:05:40 PDT 2003

I have a Duo 280 prototype and a Duo 230 engineering
sample. Any idea on value?

The 280 has a lable on the bottom which says
Yeager Prototype Unit- Not For Resale and a warning
that it is not FCC approved.

The 280's lid has PowerBook Duo 250 below the Apple
logo. About This Macintosh identifies it as a 280
with 12 megs RAM. It has the 14.4 modem and a 320 meg
Apple hard drive.

The 230 has no lables at all on the bottom but inside
on the frame by the left hinge it has a bright pink
lable that says Engineering Sample and on the right
end of the frame is hand written in marker
Glued and tested ground clips 3.20.93

The lid has Macintosh and PowerBook Duo 230 in the
right places but it looks a bit crooked to me, like
it was stenciled on by hand.

The 80 meg Apple drive in the 230 doesn't work and
until I disconnected it, it would only boot as far
as displaying the mouse cursor. With the drive out
it goes to the flashing floppy disk.

I have a DuoDock 1 which worked for a short time with
the 280. The person I got these from repaired the
Dock's power supply, but evidentially didn't find
_everything_ wrong with it. I had the 280 in, put the
ROM image grabber from Basilisk II on the hard drive
then shut down and ejected. Tom Owad of
applefritter.com asked for pics of these and ROM
images to compare with production versions. So I have
the ROM image from the 280 prototype but it's
"trapped" on the Duo since the Dock is defekt again.
:(
The Dock appears to be an ordinary production version,
and has a Farallon NuBus NIC with AUI and RJ45 ports.

=====
"When you are wrestling for possession of a sword, the man with the handle always wins." Hiro Protagonist