[Duo2400] Laser printers.

John Buenfil eleganttype at earthlink.net
Tue Mar 18 13:31:36 PST 2003

on 3/18/03 12:25 PM, Small Moose Ltd at small_moose_ltd at mac.com wrote:

> I've seen on eBay old laserjet's selling for next to nothing. I'm assuming
> the real cost comes in delivery because they're such big heavy objects, but
> I think one of these things would make a brilliant second hand printer for
> an old Mac. Has anyone here ever bought a second hand Laser printer? What's
> the mileage on a toner cartridge? I'm not bothered that they only print
> black and white, I just really love the crispness of the text, and for what
> is only a few bucks, could have a top quality printing machine.

Here at work I have both my G3 and the dock for my 2300 attached to a
laserjet 4M through appletalk (Phonenet) connections. For Mac compatibility
you need the 4M rather than the less expensive LaserJet 4. HP makes two
cartridges for the LaserJet 4 printers, the 92298A which is rated at about
3800 sheets and the 92298X which is rated to yield about 6000. Third party
manufacturers cram even more toner into cartridges so I've seen some rated
for as much as 11,000 sheets but I've never had much luck with third party
cartridges and use exclusively new HP branded cartridges in my printers.

The 4M I've had since it was brand new but at home I have a LaserJet 4siMX
which I picked up on eBay. The shipping was expensive and I had to get some
work done on it after I got it here but it's still a fantastic printer for
what I paid for it.