2400 screen brightness

Joe LeKostaj jm_lekostaj at attglobal.net
Thu May 15 16:02:47 PDT 2003

On 28 Apr 2003 Donald McCaig wrote:

>Dear Gurus,
>	Following Signore Tani's advice, I replaced my darkening screen
>lamp with a 2mmx218mm ccfl from digikey. www.digikey.com. It is better to
>brighten one LCD than curse the darkness.
>						Donald McCaig

I can vouch for the fix suggested by Donald McCaig. I ordered the
CCFL tube from Digi-Key (part number 289-1107-ND, price $11),
installed it, and it looks great. The 2400's display is nice and
bright now!

The replacement procedure is fairly tricky. Overall, I'd rate it
slightly harder than replacing the PRAM battery mainly because the
CCFL tube must be soldered into a precise location. Soldering skill
*is* required. I took a bunch of JPEG pictures and plan to
(eventually) put up a webpage to show the procedure.

Note, Digi-Key adds $5 for orders less than $25. If you're an
electronics hobbyist, you might want to order some other stuff at the
same time.

Best regards,
Joe LeKostaj