Asante NetDock - 2300 + 9.1 success!

Dan K macdan at comcast.net
Wed May 28 15:34:26 PDT 2003

I just got an Asante NetDock (part of a 280C package) and had no luck
getting it to work with either that 280C or with one of my 2300s. The
hardware was visible and OK to the test utility but the 'Book  was unable
to see or use any driver. I tried Asante installers v5.29 and v5.61
without success.

I scanned my 2.5 years worth of Duo-list digests and found no solutions
there at all. Sigh, well there goes all hope, right?

Hey hey, I'm pleased to report I just got it working on my 2300/56/9.1! I
had previously been using a scsi-dock with an Asante Micro-EN/SC. Which
of course means the EN/SC driver was installed into my System file. On
the off-chance the installer (v5.6.1) didn't correctly replace that
driver with the NetDock driver, I used Resedit to delete the EN/SC driver
myself (System: DRVR #28 "ENETO") from a System file _copy_, plus I moved
the EN/SC extension to the (disabled) folder. The EN/SC driver was ~17K
iirc, while the NetDock driver was much smaller (~4k?), both were plugged
into the same DRVR #28 spot. Obviously, you can have only one of these
per System file, but since I saved the original System I can use either
NetDock or EN/SC by swapping System files when needed.

Then I rebooted with extensions off and ran the installer again. Wierdly,
for "Easy Install" it offered to install the EN/SC driver, however by
selecting "Custom" I was able to select the NetDock driver (only!) for
installation which it appeared to do without complaint.

Bingo, on restart I had a DHCP address and an actual TCP/IP connection.
Oh Happy Day!

Just before I found this NetDock, I bought a couple of Micro-EN/SC
adapters with the idea of installing one internally into a 2300. Now?
Hmmmmmmm, still would be tres cool to have an RJ-45 jack back there
instead of the useless-to-me modem, but seems like a bit of a bother now
I have the NetDock. Anyone else done the Micro-EN/SC internal install?
Are there any dos and don'ts I should watch out for should I give it a
go? The only notion I have so far is to lay the Micro-EN/SC's PCB on top
of the HD (9.5mm of course), as there just ain't room for it where the
modem card lives.

Well anyway, I hope the NetDock info helps someone out there (either now
or future), :-)

Dan K

2300/56/10GB/MTFT(250) screen (2.5hrs on a Type-3!!), and now!!!
NetDock!! yeeha! heh heh . . . heh . . .

Ah shoot, now how the heck could I possibly stuff a WiFi card in there .
. . ? :-)

ŠŠŠŠŠŠŠŠŠŠŠŠŠŠŠŠŠŠŠŠŠŠŠŠŠŠŠŠŠ
http://macdan.n3.net/
carracho://dankephoto.dhs.org:9700