[Duo2400] Duo Dock Tick of Death

Joseph Getchel JGetchel at wi.rr.com
Sat Oct 4 08:43:09 PDT 2003

On 10/3/03 12:03 PM, macfreak4 at softhome.net apparently said:

>Hi.  I am purchasing a dock from someone who does not own a duo and
>he has no way to test it other than plug it in.  When it is plugged
>in he says: "I plugged to Dock in to the wall  socket, it whirred,
>ticked, then went
>silent. I unplugged it, waited a while, and plugged it back in, same
>result"  My question is:  can a dock have the tick of death and not
>tick unless there is a duo in it?  Also, if it only ticks once and
>then goes silent, does it necessarily have the tick of death? Thanks,
>I haven't owned a dock in 4 years and I don't remember a tick when
>plugging it in to the wall.
>--
>Andrew
>a.k.a.- The MacFreak
>
>"I fear that when Bill Gates dies he will find a way to create a
>monopoly in hell and steal the power of evil from the devil himself."
>-iJon from MacRumors.com
>
>------------------------------

My first Duo-Dock acted in a similar fashion. It would tick anywhere from
a few seconds to a minute or more (got longer as it aged). Once the
ticking stopped, it was fine and behaved beautifully. However, at some
point after I installed a dock hard drive, when it lost power and came
back on, the ticking would not stop, so I researched the web and found a
web site that had instructions for repairing the dock power supply.
So, I would guess that this Duo Dock has the first stages of
"Tick-of-Death", and will soon need either a new power supply, or else a
repair job.
Regards,
Joe G.