help me resurrect a 2300c

Tim.Larson at conagrafoods.com Tim.Larson at conagrafoods.com
Fri Apr 2 09:40:38 PST 2004

Hello list...

I've got a 2300c in nice shape, but hasn't been used for awhile.  I've also got some accessories, all collected from various sources over time.  I have no need for any of it, and would like to give it to a kid I know who could use a computer.  I do this with a lot of old Macs, and it's a great feeling.

What he'll be getting:
2300c, 56MB, 2GB, System 7.6.1
Duo external floppy drive
Apple MiniDock
Floppy MicroDock
Newer Ethernet MicroDock
PowerBook SCSI to Centronics cable
PowerBook SCSI to high-density (50? 68?) cable
external CD-ROM with Centronics connector

The previous owner of the Duo wiped every program from the drive with the exception of StuffIt Expander.  I have cleaned out some of the cruftier looking extensions and CPs.

Now I need to get useful software onto it.  I still have a lot of my old 68k-era programs, so acquiring software is not a problem.

Problem 1: While SCSIProbe detected the CD-ROM, the CDs I tried would not mount.  What might the problem be?  I have another CD-ROM I could dig out.  So much for physical media installs; let's try internet software.

Problem 2: I got Fetch installed via floppy, but cannot connect even to other machines on my own network, much less download a browser.  My networking knowledge in classic MacOS is minimal.  I used dialup in those days myself.  Whenever I worked with a networked Mac, it was set up already so I just had to plug in ethernet.  I looked in the TCP/IP CP, and it is trying to obtain an address from a MacIP server (whatever that is) with no option for DHCP.  I tried manually assigning an IP with no luck.  I kept the previous nameserver IPs, which might be a mistake, but doesn't explain why I can't connect to another internal numeric IP.  Is there a driver I need for the etherdock?  Or a newer version of the TCP/IP CP?  Is this dock not compatible with the 2300c?  I'd try to reinstall the system...but see Problem 1.

Problem 3: I don't know a whole lot about Duos specifically.  Can I unlatch a dock while it is running?  I know disconnecting SCSI while active is bad.  Being able to swap between the floppy and ethernet at least would save me a lot of time rebooting.

I've read that it may be possible to transfer files via AppleTalk over the serial port.  Fine, but that still the machine unable to get data in or out other than through the floppy, which isn't an ideal solution these days.  I want to get working SCSI and ethernet.

Please help!  TIA!

Tim

--
Tim Larson                                              402.998.3233
Systems Analyst                             Web Center of Excellence