[DuoList] Pram battery question...

Tom and Lisa P gionpeters at comcast.net
Thu Dec 16 15:25:39 PST 2004

>finally took apart and repaired my 280c (no dremel was involved)  but
>in the process removed the pram battery to avoid any leakage (just in
>case) and.. out of curiosity.. dismantle it.. (its dead anyway)...
>discovered it was 2 Panasonic UL2330 regargable 3v lithium coin
>cells... problem is... theres 3 wires to it.. the two coin cells are
>stacked and there is a red on the '+' of the first and a black on the
>'-' of the second... but a white inbetween the two... the only thing i
>could think of for such is the batteries are charged differently than
>they are used... so my question is; are they charged in parallel and
>used in series or vice versa? or am i completely off whack and the
>white wire does something different alltogether... ?

My theory is that they are 2 different circuits charged in parallel.
Furthermore, I am guessing that the recharging of the cells stops
when either of the cells reaches a certain limit.  If you examine
used PRAM cells, its seems like one is drained, and the other isnt
much drained.  I rigged up a little do-dad that allows the duo to
charge only one of the cells (most depleted) to get old PRAMS back up
to snuff.

Mad Dog