Excel 5.0 won't work anymore!

Art Rice artrice66 at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 15 08:54:50 PST 2004

Hi Folks!
I need help correcting a software problem. My Duo
2300c has Excel 5.0 and it was working fine. But I
goofed it up by trying to execute an Excel file copied
from an Compaq PC.  First, the original spreadsheet
was in Excel 97 format (or newer) on the PC. On the PC
I opened the file and re-saved it as an Excel 5.0
file.(Excel 5.0 is an older version than Excel 97) I
checked and it opens fine on a different PC that has
Excel 5.0c on it. I then took the PC floppy disk with
the Excel 5.0 spreadsheet on it, and copied the file
to my Duo 2300c hard disk. When I tried to open the
file, I got an error message: The application
"Microsoft Excel" could not be opened because
"MicrosoftVisualBasicAppsLib" could not be found. Now
I get that error message whenever I try to open Excel
5.0 on the Duo. Excel 5.0 files that used to open fine
don't work anymore. I searched the hard disk for the
missing file, but could not find it. I rebooted the
Duo, and later I rebuilt the desktop with no
improvement.
I have borrowed another Mac that has Excel 5.0 on it,
thinking that perhaps I can connect the Duo 2300c to
it through the serial port, and copy whatever is
needed to correct the problem onto the 2300c. I have
never used Appletalk, and I'm hesitant to do that
until I get some expert advice from you folks here on
the wonderful DuoList!
Can anyone offer any suggestions on how to correct
this problem?

Art in Silicon Valley