DOA 2400c

CJPV c_j_p_v at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 7 20:37:05 PST 2004

Greetings to all!

Received a DOA 2400c yesterday, and was able to slightly resuscitate it. So far, it will boot up
to the gray screen, no chime,no happy/sad face, HD does spin on, does recognize three finger
salute.

So far, I have pulled the battery, then tried resetting the PRAM, NVRAM, screen, Power
Manager(holding down 1 minute)  to no avail. Tried booting from external floppy, then SCSI CDROM
drive.Neither unit were accessed at all, even with the "boot external" key combo.

Then I went and powered down, left unit plugged into wall socket with battery out overnight. Same
symptoms in the morning. Inserted battery, tried all of the above with battery power alone. Same
results.

Unit will power up with either battery or AC, but refuses to go beyond that screen. Even tried the
"get of of GLOD" trick!

Through a bit of research, I think that either a) PRAM battery is toast ( i have a spare) b)fuse
is blown (don't have that) c) logic board is bad( 2400c = parts). Previous owner stated that it
worked fine, he put it into closet for several months, took it out, and it would not boot.

Any tips or suggestions are more than welcome before I start to disassemble it to investigate further!