'New' 2400 G3/240 with cache problems?

geary at acm.org geary at acm.org
Tue Jul 27 22:20:30 PDT 2004

I finally got around to setting up the 2400 I bought last year. When
it starts up, it shows this message sometime before loading any INITs:

   The built-in memory test has detected a
   problem with cache memory. Please
   contact a service technicion for assistance.

It has a G3/240 installed and it appears to operate without
problems. I'm sending this from it now.

Does anyone know what this really means? Is it likely to stop working
altogether without further warning, or is it more likely that all I
will see is slower operation because of the lack of cache? The system
profiler says:

External L2 cache: 256K
Backside L2 cache: 0 bytes

Is this what it's supposed to be?

Guage Pro says there is no L2 cache. (And the processor temp is 150
deg F. How does that compare to those of you with the same processor
upgrade? I've been running it for a couple of hours now on wall juice.)

And what's with that empty spot next to the right shift key? The small
keyboard works well enough, but I keep hitting that empty spot.

Mark Geary

--
"It's going to be a tough one Sam...Ziggy hasn't got a clue and the
guy in the waiting room keeps asking me if I want a jelly baby."