[Duo2400] Re: Web surfing in molasses

wayne ingalls ingallsw at frontiernet.net
Thu Mar 4 19:24:39 PST 2004

R. McFarlane wrote:

> Have you tried using iCab?

It's my favorite browser. Be sure to use some of the included
filters to help speed things up. There's a built in setting to
not display any images that come from other servers (most
commonly advertisments) and you can make custom filters
for different sites. There are the usual settings for disabling
pop-ups and not letting animations go wild.

I've seen some reviews that list it as being slower than other
browsers but these tests always seem to be on broadband
connections and don't make use of iCab's filters. I've found
it to be consistently faster for the way I use a browser.

If you really want faster performance, turn off _all_ images
or use a browser like Lynx or Wannabe to bypass images.
If you want to see some images when you get to the proper
page, you can control/click on an image in iCab to load it.
Back in the days when 14.4 modems were wicked fast, it
was common practice to disable display of images to load
pages more quickly.

hth
-wayne