[DuoList] Proposal for a duo site

Alex Santos 100MB Neostrada Mail izabella.misiewiczsantos at neostrada.pl
Tue Nov 2 11:40:14 PST 2004

Dear List members,

I recently purchased a duodock 1 not the plus nor the 2 just the first
one. Since purchasing it I have been trying to find information, some
of it rather obscure and hard to find. I was rather disappointed by the
lack of good information on the net. Indeed we can easily find PDFs on
taking one apart, service manuals and such, needless to say these are
an invaluable resources and a god send that they are available. A good
start for anyone needing to decipher the duodock.

My duodock, doesn't have the optional hard drive nor the 68882
coprocessor, not even the extra VRAM, all of it rather mysterious to
me. I am sure there are others in the same boat or others that will be.
Even the right monitor can be a risky purchase, which brings to mind
the question of an adapter or suitable cable, you know db15, dsub15,
lingo I have yet to master. It's always nice to attach a new monitor
instead of relying on older tubes which likely have a limited future
life span. The right ethernet adpater card can also be a looming
question mark for some of us. I still don't know what to get. Oh and
what about an 040 processor card, will they work, can they work, do we
need a PDS slot or is NuBus enough?

Wouldn't it be great to find a site devoted to all these questions? I
would like to propose to the community a site dedicated to the duo, the
'revived duo'. Now I know many of us still use and love our duos but
beyond that many of us just want one but need the technical issues
ironed out.

Just today someone was so nice to put up a link to the scsi cable and
all the necessary folds. That was absolutely wonderful to see. I for
one am in the market for an internal scsi drive and almost spent money
on a cable that probably would be shelved. Thanks for the scsi cable
images!

****

Would anyone here be into making a website, even a simple site with
images showcasing the innards of a duo and some of the necessary
components and optional installations for networking, for attaching a
modern monitor, for getting the drive installed, for building a
powercable for the hard drive, etc? I have access to a good digital
camera but can't code html effectively. If someone here is willing to
cooperate I can take pictures of what I have and together we can build
a decent duo site.

Perhaps others can offer other pictures of cards and the respective
software. This will both enrich our duo community and reactivate it.

I would love to get your feedback and hopefully something can come out
of this post.

I appreciate the time you have taken to read this and hope there will
be positive feedback.

since signing up to the list on September 13 a whopping 59 messages
have been posted by the members, seems like a small number but then
again it may be right. Who knows.

I hope to here from as many of you back as soon as possible.

Sincerely,
Alex Santos