[DuoList] AirPort card in PCcard slot = no-go

Dan K macdan at comcast.net
Sun Aug 7 13:30:52 PDT 2005

"Josh Keady" <joshkeady at msn.com> asked:
>As for wireless, this isn't exactly an 802.11g question, but has anyone ever
>tried putting an Airport card in their PCMCIA slot?  I got brave and tried

AP cards will not work in a PC card slot, Apple varied the pinout
slightly so it won't work.

>putting a PCMCIA card in my G4 Power Mac's Airport slot one time, and
>nothing happened.  If it recognized, all you'd have to do is rig up an
>antenna.
However (interestingly enough) PC card adapters will work in the AP slot,
provided they share the same chipset with the original AP card. That
group includes all those old 802.11b Lucent-chipset-based orinoco,
Lucent, etc. Silver and Gold cards.

dan k

dan k

http://macdan.n3.net/