[DuoList] Re: 2400 (Gene Osburn)

Gary F. Daught gfdaught at charter.net
Fri Nov 25 13:39:19 PST 2005

Ken,

Greetings. So if I boot my 2400 from, say, an OS CD, then I can just
copy the existing hard drive contents to the CF card?

Thanks,

Gary

 >>Greetings. I am also about ready to jump on the CompactFlash
 >>boot-drive bandwagon for my 2400 (which I love!). Just to clarify,
 >>however, when you say "run the OS installer," are you saying I
 >>don't/can't just COPY the OS and apps from my hard drive to the CF
 >>card, and then assign the CF as the boot drive from the Startup
 >>Disk Control Panel?...snip...
 >
 >Sure, copying your System Folder will work fine.  I tend to think in
 >terms of fresh install, to get just the System Folder contents
 >wanted/needed for a particular Mac -- nothing more, nothing less.

Copying a system folder from the active startup drive can cause
problems.

To ensure a trouble free drag and drop copy you should boot from a
startup partition (or CD, external drive etc)   other than the one
you want to use for your drag and drop copy.

I ran my Lombard from a 256MB CF card for some time without trouble
and with a nice boost in speed.

Now with the drop in price of the larger high speed CF cards I think
this is a great solution for increased performance with a 2400!

--
Aloha, Ken