[DuoList] 280c problem

ElBrio at aol.com ElBrio at aol.com
Mon Sep 5 07:27:50 PDT 2005

In a message dated 9/5/05 5:03:06 AM, kilfeder at curlewfilms.com writes:

> >>My faithful 280c has suddenly gone wonky. When I boot it up, I get
> >>the opening chimes, followed immediately by a loud
> >>
> .....TICK-TICK-TICK.........TOCK-TOCK-TOCK..........TICK-TICK-TICK.........
> >>that sounds as though it's coming from the speaker. Then,
> >>absolutely nothing.  No light on the screen, or anything.

Try unplugging the HD and see if it gets to the ? disk screen.   If so,
you've got a dead HD.   If not, you may have a dead logic, and what you're hearing
is the inverter section on the board trying to crank up.

Do pull the PRAM batt for awhile, reset the Power Manager (30-45 sec hold on
reset btn on reverse, no AC, no battery) and try again.   Might have just gone
wonky.

I may have a 250 mg HD around here still, and I do have a good 280 logic,
which will need an orig. clock chip reinstalled (currently hacked for 40
mhz....).

Andrew