[DuoList] 2400 CF upgrade!

Noah Wood mr.noah.wood at gmail.com
Sun Jan 16 07:48:52 PST 2011

I had been putting this project off for forever, but I finally got
around to doing it yesterday and I'm really happy with the results.  I
bought a compact flash to 2.5 IDE adapter from amazon
(http://www.amazon.com/Syba-SY-IDE2CF-NB25-Compact-Adapter-2-5-Inch/dp/B001B19HGA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1295191835&sr=8-1
this one to be exact) and a 2GB Transcend CF card
(http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000VY2BC0/ref=ox_ya_os_product this
one to be exact).  I took out the IDE drive (a 10gig travelstar I
upgraded once before) and popped it in a PC card IDE adapter to my G3
powerbook to do a backup of the boot partition.  Then I popped in the
CF card to a PC card adapter and copied the boot partition back to the
CF card.  I then popped the CF card in the adapter and into the 2400.
Also, while I was knee deep into the machine I disconnected the two
yellow wires to enable cardbus support.  Put the machine back together
and pushed on.  It successfully booted and was completely silent.  The
boot time is much faster as well, I can really see a speed increase in
extracting archives.  Overall, despite losing a lot of extra space,
I'm really happy with the results of the CF adapter, it really makes
the machine quiet and more usable without worrying about an aging hard
drive.  The cardbus mod went well too, and I can now use my usb key
with my 2400, which is nice.

P.S. A shoutout to the mac 2400 site for helping me take the thing
apart and put it back together without losing any screws!

--
"There are two types of people in this world, those who've lost data