[G4] Innie or Outtie . . . CD-RW, that is?

Mel mkrewall at mac.com
Fri Apr 18 16:22:55 PDT 2003

Fast external burners are getting pretty cheap, so I would recommend
you go for a FireWire 48x12x48 or better. There is not really much to
recommend you going to the trouble of swapping out the DVD with the
burner because neither of them would be able to tax the throughput of
the FireWire bus. Don't get a USB drive, as the USB 1.1 drives max out
at 4x record. USB 2 drives will do better, but there's only one adapter
card (I think - Orange Micro) that works with OS X, and you don't want
to go to the expense of buying one along with the drive. Don't even
think about the case modification unless you're pretty good at cutting
and bending metal. I have a Lite-On 48x24x48 burner that I put in a
FireWire case that was on sale.  The whole thing wound up about $120
and works great. It works with Disk Burner and iTunes. Check
DealMac.com or Other World Computing (eshop.macsales.com) among many
others for good deals.

Mel