Classic won't PPP

Jeff Rothfus saranac.tv at worldnet.att.net
Sat Apr 19 10:50:13 PDT 2003

Classic internet applications (Emailer, Newswatcher, etc.) have
"forgotten" how to connect to our LAN (and internet modem) when our G4
AGP tower is booted into OS X.

They complain about "no DNS, no TCP/IP, no server data, etc".

Oddly enough, modern OS X internet applications connect perfectly fine
when the machine is booted into OS X, and the problematic Classic
applications connect perfectly fine in the exact same setup when the
machine is booted into OS 9.2.2.

Any idea what's going on?

For the record: OS X and 9.2.2 (system folders and apps) are on different
volumes, and the G4 is _hardwired_ via ethernet to the LAN port of a
graphite Airport Base Station which dials out DHCP on the internal 56k
with "ABS Modem Utility".

TIA

jeff