[G4] G5 and photoshop

Jeremy Kezer jeremy at kezer.net
Mon Aug 11 08:24:06 PDT 2003

Kunga,

>Matt's 2¢ isn't worth 2¢. He completely misunderstands and
>underestimates the value of the 1 GHz bus and the fact that the OS
>will never need to be 64-bit for applications to be 64-bit right
>away with trivial recompilations that Apple has made simple for
>developers to deliver quickly. 64-bit Photoshop will be delivered as
>a free update later this month before most G5 buyers even get their
>computers.
>
>Apple has done all the BETA testing on the G5 PowerMac. Buyers will
>be getting post beta product immediately.

Two notes - the Front Side Bus on the new G5's is 1/2 the processor
speed.  The lowest-end G5 has a 800MHz FSB.

Also, in naval warship design, it's a rule of thumb to limit the
amount of "new" technology to only about 10% of the overall design.
Why?  Because new technologies are that - new, not thoroughly tested,
and more prone to breakage.  Reliability of warships is paramount to
their survival in a battle.

The new G5's have a lot that's new in them.  I wouldn't trust any
mission-critical work to them until they've had some shake-down time.

Sincerely,

Jeremy Kezer