Drive Setup vs Disk Utility

Dale Hoffman dhoff at margnat.com
Tue Aug 26 08:41:32 PDT 2003

I've noticed that OSX Utilities no longer include Drive Setup which
allowed low level formatting and extensive surface testing. Instead
we have Disk Utility which performs quick erases only. I've
previously gotten around that by booting into OS9 and launching Drive
Setup from there to put new primary and secondary drives through a
peace-of-mind shake down.

Now that the new Macs will not boot into OS9 I wonder if there is a
utility of choice that will do extensive testing of the drive surface?

Is there a reason why Apple took these options away from us?

DaleH