[G4] System folder extensions mysteriously change on G4

James Asherman jimash at optonline.net
Thu Aug 28 06:26:55 PDT 2003

On Thursday, August 28, 2003, at 05:36 AM, christine wrote:

> I hope someone can help me. More than half of the extensions in the OS
> 9.2.2 System Folder that came installed on my new G4, say that they
> are Final Cut Pro plugins, now.

Lot's of mine too. It bugs me big time.

>  I don't know when or how this happened. Weird. To make matters worse
> the computer didn't come with an OS 9 Installer disk. I can't seem to
> figure out how to get the OS 9 files off the Software Restore CD to
> copy fresh ones back into my 9 System Folder. Is there a simple way to
> extract the 9 system folder files from the installer package on the
> Software Restore CD? I tried Pacifist, but that only unlocks thee OS X
> installer package on the CD.

I reinstalled from scratch. There are still alot of things that are FCP
plugs that shouldn't be.
Software restore was fun but can cause damage. I went with the
reinstall discs and a copy of my original system on a second drive made
with CCC to get misssing stuff from.

> I am totally frustrated at this point been trying all day to get files
> off this restore disk.
> Another source of frustration is that I am trying to make a bootable
> OS 9 repair disk and a bootable X repair disk using Toast.

Try Carbon copy cloner.

>  There seem to be a lot of very different and conflicting methods of
> doing this, online, but there must be a simple way to do this in
> Toast. Can anyone recommend one or refer me to a webpage?
> Thanks very much for any light you can shed.
> Christine

Also if the programs work, try not to fret over what the icons look
like and they may look different in 9.
Jim