[G4] Pioneer DVD and Movies

Art McGee amcgee at virtualidentity.org
Mon Dec 29 11:10:23 PST 2003

> The motivation for asking for info on copying some movies
> is that I had a hobby of collecting movies on DVD. That
> was until this last fall when someone broke into my home
> and stole over 60 DVDs.

No need to explain, but thanks anyway. You have the moral
right to make backups of stuff that you own, and only the
fascistic policies of the RIAA, MPAA, media corporations
and other IP demons is creating a climate of fear amongst
the public.

> Since then I have lost interest in my hobby, which in some
> ways is depressing because I was enjoying developing a
> nice collection. I have been reluctant to start-up again.

You have my deepest sympathies. Something very similar
happened to me once. It's very difficult to start from
scratch when you've lost a collection of anything.

> However the thought occurred to me that if I made a
> back-up (or copy)  than I would still have my collection.
> I have my Mac (G4 Quicksilver w/ Pioneer DVD) and I
> thought most the required equipment, but low on knowledge.

Do you have receipts for any or all of the DVDs that you
purchased? Do you have a list of all the DVDs, an inventory
of some sort? If you can prove that you owned any of those
titles, there may be a way to shame the distributors and/or
retailers into replacing them for you. The bastards don't
want you to make backups so they should take responsibility
for replacing them when they're lost, damaged, or stolen.

> Didn't mean to create a problem. Sorry.

No need to apologize. You were simply asking an age-old
question, albeit indirectly: why don't we have the same
tool on the Mac that has long been perfected on the PC?

Thanks to Paula for the common sense, and thanks to Mel
for the resources.

Art McGee
Principal Consultant
Virtual Identity