[G4] Sawtooth Jaguar OS9 Snafu

Tracker at aol.com Tracker at aol.com
Tue Feb 11 12:15:29 PST 2003

In a message dated 2/11/03 10:07:58 AM, jsoriano at sumbeach.com writes:

<<  And, I can't delete the .Trashes directory because I can't figure out the
password for root.  HELP! >>

Boot from the original OS-X install disk and create a totally NEW password
for the root user. Do not perform the complete OS installation!!!!! Just the
new password creation!!!! Then, shut-down and restart.

That will allow you to make permission changes as the Administrator user by
getting information on the file you want to remove and then activate the
permission change preference.

You could also trash the file while booted to the install CD. That doesn't
require any permissions to do because you didn't start from the installed OS
and you can delete anything you want (a very dangerous situation if you don't
understand exactly what you are doing).

Good luck.