[G4] Linksys BEFSR41 ver 2 Router

Lee ratman at cq.net
Tue Jan 7 07:26:21 PST 2003

On Tuesday, Jan 7, 2003, at 05:26 US/Central, Jonny Stankinas wrote:

> Does anyone on the list have any experience with this router?  I would
> like to run two Macs with it.  Any information or direction would be
> appreciated.

I have used many of the routers listed as not "mac friendly" ,
including the Linksys, over the last few years. Any router that has a
DHCP server, and an web based interface is mac compatible. Just because
the manufacturer doesn't put pretty pictures in the manual showing you
exactly how to setup your mac to talk to it, doesn't mean you can't use
it. TCP/IP, HTTP, DHCP are the same on either platform. All that is
different is where the settings are located depending on the OS. So, if
you need the hand-holding, get the MacSense router that is specifically
for Macs. Or save money, use your noggin, and  use one of the cheaper
"PC only" routers.

The only caveat to the above would be if you need to router Appletalk
across a wireless connection while using Mac OS 9. That can be more
problematic with some Wireless routers. But, I don't believe that is
what you are doing.

Lee

Lee Wilmeth
Lee Wilmeth Consulting