[G4] Truncated Filenames from Windows? - off topic butcurious

Jonathan I. Nori JIN at destinyimage.com
Tue Jan 14 10:05:37 PST 2003

Hi!

One thing to note: there are certain characters (and file name lengths) that Macs will not accept that Windows will let you get away with. A couple examples of this are commas, slashes, quotation marks, and ampersands (&). Macs *really* don't like these in the filename, as well as some other non-letter/number characters. Macs also tend to really dislike Windows files with names over 28 characters. Windows will allow you to have up to 256 characters in a file name (depending on it's location within the file system and the version of Windows). If I remember correctly, OS9 will allow you to rename files that don't conform to its naming structure, but will prevent you from opening the file until you rename it.

Hope this helps!

Jon  8^)

-----

Where is the horse and the rider? Where is the horn that was blowing?
They have passed like rain on the mountain, like wind in the meadow;
The days have gone down in the West, behind the hills into shadow.
How did it come to this?

                                        -- Theoden King, The Two Towers

Anne Keller-Smith wrote:

> I had a couple suggestions, among which was to download the files
> to her laptop, running Windows 98, if there was enough hard drive
> space. She said this wasn't possible because the hard drives are
> a different standard.

No, it should work fine, and it should be able to keep the long filenames.

> I have felt stupid on occasion giving advice to Windows folks,
> because they can't do quite a bit, or at least I don't know how
> to do it.

Being a recent "switcher", I found I had to resist doing things I would
have had to do in windoze, and instead let the Mac do it if it even
needed doing at all.

> The other question, which is on topic, is whether there are
> any similar glitches moving from OS9 to X. There haven't
> seemed to be any, from my limited experience going back
> and forth between Dad's machine running OS X.1.1 and mine
> running 9.2.1. Files go back and forth just fine.

I have 9.2.2 and X.1.5, and altough I prefer X, I have to go back and
forth; it's pretty painless.

----------
G4ist, a listserv for discussion of everything G4.
FAQ at <http://www.themacintoshguy.com/lists/G4.html>.
Send a message to <G4-DIGEST at themacintoshguy.com> to switch to the digest.

XRouter | Share your DSL or cable modem between multiple computers!
Dr. Bott | Now $139.99      <http://www.drbott.com/prod/xrouter.html>

Dr. Bott LLC   4-port USB Hub in translucent Graphite!
Dr. Bott LLC   <http://www.drbott.com/prod/ghub.html>

Small Dog Electronics   http://www.smalldog.com  | Canon Digital Cameras |
--Quicksilver & refurbished G4's arriving daily! |   and Camcorders!!    |

OS X News, Dr.Mac, Forums, Tutorials, Tips, Hints, FAQ?s - http://www.osxfaq.com