[G4] Will a newer graphics card work in an old G4?

csean at poc.it csean at poc.it
Mon Jan 20 01:49:51 PST 2003

on 1/20/03 03:28, Power Macintosh G4 List at G4 at lists.themacintoshguy.com
wrote:

> don't know if it will work, but remember, since it's ATI based, it won't
> help you out with Quartz Extreme in OSX. You need to use an AGP card.
>
> David Crandon
>
> Daniel Brieck wrote:
>>
>> I have a G4 500 MHz AGP based power mac with a ATI Rage Pro graphics
>> card in it. Will an AGP graphics card from a newer Dual processor G4
>> work in my computer. The newer card is an ATI Radeon OEM edition. I
>> have talked to my local apple consultant and he said it should work but
>> with out the ADC connector functioning completely . Does anyone know by
>> experience  if it will work for sure.
-------------

Actually it depends "how new", but since the dual processor had a Radeon
card, it's probably a "Gigabit Ethernet" G4, which is very similar to the
G4/500 "AGP Graphics". Both have 2x AGP slots, as opposed to the 4x slots on
newer G4's.

The ADC connector should work fine; what the tech may have been referring to
is the ability to use BOTH the ADC and VGA connectors at the same time to
drive 2 monitors (you can't do this). IIRC, the only AGP card that lets you
drive 2 monitors at the same time on the G4 AGP Graphics is the Radeon 8500.

Also, you will probably get less performance with Quartz Extreme with the 2x
AGP slot vs. a 4x AGP slot.

I believe David may have been referring to "PCI" (rather than "ATI") in his
reply.

Chris