[G4] Replacing a combo drive in a G4 867 DP MDD with a superdrive.

Herbert N. Alexander herbalexander at mac.com
Sun Jul 13 06:50:34 PDT 2003

Sandor:

I am the second person I know who has received this response from
someone at the Apple Store. My friend has a G4 450 and bought one of
the Pioneer superdrives. Based on Apple's response, he put in in a
firewire enclosure. The representative said firmly that my G4 would not
recognize the superdrive. He said nothing about supporting or not
supporting such an action.  Call the Apple Store yourself and see what
response you get. Perhaps these representatives are simply ignorant but
I think it's a marketing ploy.  Apple wants to sell computers! If my
friend and I can modify our G4's to make them better suit our needs,
Apple loses business.  Search the Apple Store for superdrives. I have
done this several times and I notice they don't sell them separately.

Herbert