[G4] Too much RAM?

John switlik at cox.net
Tue Jun 24 17:31:59 PDT 2003

I can add another perspective to this thread. I bought a new G4 1.42GDP
a couple of months ago with 2GB of RAM. When I transferred my
applications to the new machine, a couple of them, FileMaker Pro 5.5
and Palm Desktop 4.0 complained that there was insufficient RAM to
perform the installation!!!!???!!!

1. The Palm installer asked if I would like to attempt the install
anyway. I said okay an the installation went smoothly without a hitch.

2. The FileMaker Installer absolutely refused to budge. I called FM
Tech Support and they said the problem was that I had TOO MUCH RAM!  I
was told to remove all but one DIMM and the installation would proceed
normally. After installation, I would be able to put the additional RAM
back into the machine and all would be normal. I did, and it was.

3. It seems that older versions of some software get confused when more
RAM is installed than the maximum specified by Apple at the time the
software was released (I could have upgraded to FM 6.0 but I don't use
the program enough to justify the upgrade cost).

John